Pages

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. What are your weakest links?

I have missed out on doing things that are fun and very beneficial, just because I believe I am not good at it.
Here is a list:
  1. I am not good at painting
  2. I am not good at striking the first conversation
  3. I am not good at sports
  4. I am not good at trekking
  5. I am not good at networking

I use these statements as excuses for not attempting to start activities around these areas.

It is important to examine these lists. Perhaps, these lists have been handed over to us by others-teachers, friends, peers, bosses---or they have been created none other than ourselves.

Here is an approach to make your weakest link your strongest, if not the strongest, make it as strong as you want it to be.

  • Identify an area
  • Substitute the statement-example, "I am taking steps right now to make myself good at painting", instead of "I am not good at painting."
  • Set a timeline of 6 months with slots of 21 days (It takes 21 days to form a habit)
  • Plan to do poorly, initially. It is ok to make mistakes and you have the right and the permission (from yourself) to do so
  • Have fun
  • Celebrate the effort you put in, not the results.
  • Monitor every 21 days of your progress

I am planning to use these steps. What about you? Do you have a similar list?

Try this approach out and do feel free to come to this post and share your experience.