- A husband tells his wife he loves her.
- A wife buys a gift for her husband
- A daughter buys a gift for her mother
- A son sends a card to his father stating that he is missing him
We often use occasions as props to show that we love and care. Perhaps it is a sign of our times. We get so busy oiling and running the machinery of our lives that we forget to express our love to our loved ones. Our conversations revolve around the mundane-grocery, electricity bills, houshold chores---
I think we need to do both-express our love and care daily and also use special occasions to punctuate the routine by a planned expression of showing our love to our loved ones.
Today, I got fantastic gifts from my wife. She had carefully planned this and put in a lot of effort. I am deeply touched.
I also learnt a very important lesson. We need to seek opportunities to celebrate our love with our loved ones. Along with day to day expression of our love, we also need to invest our time and effort just to show that we care and we love.
This can be done several ways:
- Plan a party for the person
- Buy her a gift
- Take her to a movie
- Buy him a watch
- Send her flowers
The list can go on. The point I am driving at is that the more time, effort and planning we put in to delighting our loved ones the more fulfilling all our lives will be.
We need not wait for an occasion to do this. We can pick up a random date and decide to delight our loved ones just for the sake of doing so.
I think we can classify people in different categories:
- People who forget to express their love day in day out and use occasions as props to express their love
- People who their express their love day in day out but don't take occasions seriously and miss an opportunity to express their love in a more grand, gala way
- People who forget to express their love day in day out and don't take occasions seriously either.
- People who express their love day in day out and also take occasions seriously and turn them into delightful experiences.
My wife belongs to the 4th category. I am learning to get into the 4th category. She is also good at selecting a random date and planning something delightful, either for me or for our daughter.
What about you? To which category do you belong to?
Another question you need to ask yourself is how much time, effort and planning do you invest in delighting your loved ones.